Sunday, September 03, 2006


I feel the need to write a "Japanese countryside appreciation" post.
Lately, I've been very focused on how much I like cities, but the bicycle ride I went on this evening reminded me of how wonderful it is where I live.
Once I turned off the noisy, main route, all I could hear was wind, cicadas, and frogs. In every direction I was surrounded by green mountains and rice fields.
I stopped by a small pond where I had seen some massive koi the last time I took this same route. They were still there, and seemed excited at the prospect of getting some food from me, but sadly I had nothing to give but a smile, and they probably didn't notice that!



Soon after that something caught my eye off to my left side. It was a monkey dropping from a tree branch! Then I realized that there were actually about 5 or 6 monkeys, including a baby hanging onto its mother. Oh, I love monkeys! They're so cute. The monkeys here are Macaques with funny, little, red faces. They all quickly ran away when I stopped my bicycle.
I rode far enough today to find the "Ouchiyama Fureai Bokujou", which is a farm where one can see cows (and possibly other animals), and make butter by hand. It was already closed, but now that I know where it is, I'll have to go back on another weekend.
On my way back towards my house, I saw one of my favorite first graders from Ouchiyama elementary school. His face lit up when he saw me and he yelled "Meigaaaan sensei!" So, I yelled "Hello" and waved. Then he responded with the cutest little "Harrrrrooo". He even rolled his R. It was precious. I had a big smile on my face after that!
My little village here in the Japanese countryside is amazing. I feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful, peaceful place (with a little used car disposal problem)!

1 comment:

Paul said...

What beautiful pictures! Koi ponds? Too bad you didn't get pictures of the monkies!

I'd be really surprised if the car didn't host a whole family of animals.