Thursday, November 15, 2007

美人薄命/Bijin Hakumei


I learned a new saying yesterday, when I was talking to some teachers at one of my elementary schools, and trying to explain what a sinus infection is, without knowing the word. One of my teachers said "Bijin Hakumei" (美人薄命), and then explained it as meaning that beautiful women are frail. I laughed and denied the beautiful part, but then she said that she and I suffered together, so we both laughed more.
A beautiful woman is called "bijin" ( 美人)in Japanese. It's kind of weird to call someone a "beauty" in English, but it's not odd in Japanese. One of my town's catch phrases is even "Bijin no machi" (美人の町), which means a town of beauties.
But I digress. Sayings like "Bijin hakumei" are called "yojijukugo", or 4-character idioms. I always like learning them, because they are made up of only 4 kanji, but they carry a lot of meaning. It would be hard to express as much in such a compact way in English. You can read a few more "yojijukugo"
here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sunday, November 18, 2007 - You always were a "beautiful baby," a "beautiful girl," and now you have become a "beautiful woman" ...inwardly and outwardly !! You are only frail when you work and play too hard ...without proper rest and rejuvenation time ...sleep! Oops, you did it again!!! Get that immune system up and running so you don't have to suffer, needlessly. Words of wisdom from ...The Mom XXOO