Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanksgiving is coming!
Although I'm in Japan, where American Thanksgiving obviously doesn't exist, Lauren and I are planning a night of pumpkin pie, turkey and other delicious treats with our friends! I can't wait!

I always spent Thanksgiving with my family growing up, but I haven't had a chance (or the motivation) to celebrate it in Japan before now. I'm looking forward to that stuffed feeling with no American football racket in the background!

Every year I remember the excitement of my younger cousins when my brother and I would arrive at grandma's house, and feeling amazed at how much food one family could produce. Without fail, my grandma Marcia would serve cottage cheese, and chastize us for not eating enough of it. As much as I love, cottage cheese, I never understood the point of it at a dinner with so many yummy, homemade foods!

I wish I could see my grandma Marcia this year, but she passed away several years ago. I suppose Thanksgiving will be the perfect time to think about all the wonderful times I had with her, and to be thankful for the memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sunday, November 18, 2007 - Remembering those dinners at Grandma Marcia's ...I never understood the need for cottage cheese either. Took a trip down memory lane this past week as I worked with Aunt Linda cleaning out her garage. We came across several large bins with dishes and things from Grandma's kitchen, along with other things from Great Grandma Miller's house. They were both such an important part of my life and yours. What memories we have around kitchens and food with those wise and wonderful women! Cheers to them (in spirit) and my gratitude to them for all of the love (and delicious food) that they shared with us!! Wishing you were here to cook for this week!!! Thinking of your upcoming birthday and the Thanksgiving before you were born when I attempted to eat my way into labor. The doctors had set your "due date" as October 31st ...so you were very late by Thanksgiving and I thought you were never coming out into the world. Thanks to you for becoming my daughter ...The Mom XXOO