Friday, December 28, 2007

I had a very sedate Christmas here in Japan this year.
I didn't order a Christmas cake or a box of fried chicken in advance (two very Japanese Christmas things to do) to eat on Christmas. I didn't have a party. I didn't sing Christmas Eve karaoke with Stan. I didn't even open any presents on Christmas!
So what did I do??
Stan was sick over the weekend leading up to Christmas, so I mostly sat around watching downloaded TV shows, crocheting, and waking Stan up from his feverish delerium to make him drink water.
I went shopping on Christmas Eve day only to discover that the grocery store had already sold out of their small, smoked turkey selection. Turkey meat only seems to be available during Christmas time here, so that was a real bummer! I did manage to have ham, orange sweet potatoes and stuffing for Stan and I to eat on Christmas Day! Stan was still feeling a little iffy, so I did most of the eating.
I also got to talk to my mom on Christmas day, which was my favorite part of Christmas! I was feeling very sad about not being with my family in the US this Christmas, so it meant a lot to talk to my mom, and to listen to her reaction as she opened the presents I had sent.
I hope your Christmas was merry and bright!

1 comment:

lauren carroll said...

your christmas sounds very much like mine, in spite of the fact that i was in the US. it makes me feel strangely glad to know you understand. :) my mom was sick for five days and we did a whole lot of nothin. my stomach was a bit iffy at the american food, and i was feeling underwhelmed by motivation to see people.