Sunday, April 30, 2006

A child's life


The kids in Barangay Bahile were so awesome! While I do love my students here in Japan, they can't compete with these kids in terms of openness, curiousity, friendliness, and spirit. Although many of these kids didn't have a lot in terms of material possessions or toys, they were so full of love and joy! It was very powerful.


The imagination, resourcefulness, and inventiveness of the kids when they played reminded me of myself when I was a child.


A little, unused bus became a space with endless possibilities.

Foreigners with cameras provided endless entertainment for the kids. There was never a shortage of kids eager to pose for a picture! They loved seeing their pictures on the digital camera screens afterwards.


A big pile of dirt made for an exciting (and filthy!) playground.

One of my favorite kids, Walter, built pyramids out of spare pieces of wood, while we made bricks.



I truly hope that I will have a chance to go back there again and see all these beautiful children once more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hellow brother Ichigo, I wonder if you still remember me, but i think you should, because as you have said in your blog that I am the one of your favorite kids way back 2006. remember me brother. I am Walter.. Thanks for posting our picture together with my friends. I am so happy and honored because after 11 years since 2006 you still have our picture when we were kids.