Monday, December 04, 2006

A couple of weeks ago, two of my elementary school students rang my doorbell. When I answered the door they said, "Meigan-sensei, yasai wa tabemasu ka?" Which means, "Miss Megan, do you eat vegetables?"

I told them that I loved vegetables! Then they explained that they were taking vegetable orders. I couldn't really figure out who was growing the vegetables, or why they were selling them, but I signed myself up for 1 kg of several different types.

Today I was home sick from school and had just lay down for a nap when my doorbell rang again. I didn't want to answer it, but then it occured to me that it might be my little vegetable peddlers.

I looked through the peephole and saw that it was, indeed, my students. So, I pulled the hood of my sweatshirt over my bedhead and answered the door. My students gave me a bag of lovely, dirt-covered potatoes. I told them that they looked delicious. I asked where the potatoes were from, but I couldn't understand the answer. O, well!

My students didn't comment on my sick, disheveled appearance, but the younger one said something along the lines of "Look! She's not wearing her glasses!" It's very funny the things kids notice.

Perhaps I'll make some mashed potatoes tonight. I love mashed potatoes. They are the ultimate comfort food for me, and when I make them myself I can use as much butter as I want!

1 comment:

Paul said...

But good mashed potatoes need to have onions and salt to be super delicious. I too, love mashed potatoes. Not to mention they're the primary component in pierogi.