Monday, December 11, 2006

Detroit and Hamtramck




I was really excited about going back to Michigan over the holidays.
Then I was sad, because news of my planned return was not greeted with happiness as I expected.
Then I worked that problem out, but was still feeling cautious and nervous.
Now I am feeling excited, but the nervousness still lingers! I haven't been in the US in a year! It's going to be a whole lot of weird rolled into a two week trip!
As much as I miss friends and family, I also miss places, Detroit and Hamtramck, in particular! So, here's a little photo album of things I hope to see again...

Sweet, old, run-down Hamtramck. How I miss thee! I really want to eat some yummy, ridiculously cheap, Bangladeshi "fast food" again!



Wig shops! Is it weird to miss wig shops and Korean-owned, black beauty supply stores?



Hamtramck has the best mannequins ever! EVER!







And the coolest place in Hamtramck (which used to be right down the alley from my house... The inimitable Hamtramck Disneyland!!!!!






And then there's the Heidelberg Project-Detroit's own neighborhood Disneyland! It's always changing, so I might not see these things, but I'm sure that there will be something else waiting for me!








1 comment:

Paul said...

I don't go to Hamtramck like I used to. I miss it, but it doesn't have the same love that it used to.