Friday, February 16, 2007

One of my new favorite people, Taichi, was at taiko practice tonight. Taichi is a 17 year old boy with Down's Syndrome. He really loves playing taiko, as do I.

Tonight at one point during the practice, Ono Sensei had Taichi dance for us as he played the drum. It was one of the happiest, most joyous sights I have ever seen. I had tears in my eyes and a huge smile plastered on my face as I watched.

At times it was quite subtle and Taichi would mainly be rotating his hips. And at other times his hands were beating rhythms in the air with the drumsticks and his eyes were rolled up into his head. He looked so happy, and was so totally engrossed in the beat of the taiko drum. I wished that I could be that uninhibited and so full of spirit.

Watching Taichi dance was an awesome, awesome experience! I love his smile, and I can't wait to see him again next time I go to taiko practice.

No comments: