Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I made a killer dinner for Stan and I last week.
I have been trying to spend less time sweating over the stove, because it's been so hot in Japan. So, we had salad and sandwiches. I can't seem to resist torturing myself with that stove, so there was a small amount of broiling involved!

Our sandwiches had basil mayonnaise, which I made with mayo, fresh basil, lemon juice and salt and pepper; fresh mozzarella; some melted Japanese "mix cheese", fresh, sliced tomatoes; sauteed onions; broiled asparagus and broiled red peppers (not shown in photo). These sandwiches were SO good! Stan loved the mayonnaise so much that he wanted to dip bread in it. My mouth is watering just remembering it! I also made one of these sandwiches to take in my bento for the next day. The only slight problem was that the asparagus was hard to bite, so I might cut it into smaller pieces next time!

The sandwich


I decided to get creative with the salad, and use some of the Japanese ingredients that are readily available here. Let me see if I can remember what I put in it...
I used mizuna, some Korean greens (forgot the name), sliced cucumbers, shredded daikon, shredded carrots, a block of fried tofu cut into small pieces, and boiled peanuts. We used Japanese sesame dressing on top. It was an awesome salad! The boiled peanuts were soooo good. I bought some a few days later and just ate them for a snack. Even Stan, who isn't usually crazy about salads, ate a big bowl! Success!

The salad

No comments: