Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Baba Shatsu

I wrote this on November 14, 2005.

Oh, it`s so cold in these Japanese schools! I came to school in kneesocks, jeans, an undershirt, a long-sleeved shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt.
After going to one class I drove home during a break and put on long underwear (top and bottom), wool socks, and a handkerchief tied around my neck. I soon realized that even that isn`t enough. So, I put a little heat pad in the front pocket of my sweatshirt to warm up my hands. Even after doing that my bum and my feet were freezing. So, I put two more little heating pads in the back pockets of my jeans. After bringing up the base temperature of my ass, I think I`ll transfer the heating pads to my slippers and try to warm up my feet!
Oh, indoor heating, why have you forsaken me?
The poor female students have to wear skirts! And their socks only come half way up their shins. Brrr. I won`t be envying them this winter!
By the way, I learned yesterday that long underwear are called "baba shatsu" in Japanese. That means "Grandma shirt". Pretty cute, eh?
Note to self: must buy more "baba shatsu".

1 comment:

Shorty said...

I have never liked long underwear. It sounds like those have to be strong and determined young ladies to go to school dressed that way in the winter. Good for them.