Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hiking to the ocean in Kii Nagashima



Last weekend I went for a hike down to the ocean with Karly and Jonathan in Kii Nagashima. Both the beauty and the challenge far exceeded my expectations.
Kii Nagashima is the town south of me, where Jonathan lives. We walked up to a look-out point first, and then we took a trail that Jonathan had previously found. It was fairly straight forward at first, but then it involved a sharp incline, holding onto a rope, and feet slipping on loose leaves. I started cursing and telling Karly and Jonathan that they had too much faith in my hiking ability! It all turned out to be worth it.
The ocean was gorgeous. We ended up in a spot that most people wouldn't be able to find, or be willing to get to. The rocks were gorgeous. You can see the history in them. They appear to be made of layers pushed together over thousands of years.
The ocean was just beautiful. I love the sound of ocean waves. I climbed down to sit nearer to the water and just enjoyed the feeling of being there. The water was so blue, and so full of power. The ocean always gives me a really unique, intense feeling. Even not being in the water, I felt covered and surrounded by it. It was a cloudy day, which actually looked quite beautiful. The clouds were like a reflection of the waves in the sky.

1 comment:

Paul said...

When we were kids, my dad took my brother and I to Lake Superior. There was a spot where you could walk on rocks that extended out into the middle of the lake. There was a chain to hold on to, but it only went halfway down these green, slimy rocks. Of course, my brother and I, young and invulnerable, went out as far as we could, daring the water to pull us in.

It was beautiful, I can still remember looking out at the expanse of it all.

Thanks for helping to remind me of that.