Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Magic Toilet Park

I wrote this on January 19, 2006

So, tonight was a "Girls' Night In" for my neighbor Karly and I. We were both in need of it. Adding alcohol to the equation hadn't occured to me until she showed up at my apaato with a bottle of Australian red wine! It was a stroke of genius!
We chatted and started drinking while I made a homemade sauce for our penne pasta. I tell you, you get half a glass of wine in me, and all that pent up chatter just comes pouring out.
I almost fell on the floor because I was laughing so hard as I told Karly about the creativity of one of my students. The 7th graders has to draw and write about their "ideal park". Rui came up with "Magic Toilet" park (actually "magikku toire park" which I improved upon with my smashing, native English skills). His park is full of toilets. "A big guy uses a toilet. Boys use toilets. This park smells bad, but I like this park." The teacher I work with told me that Rui really likes toilets and likes to sit in the 2nd floor bathrom of the jr. high. Ummm, OK!? The Japanese have a kind of weird national obession with bodily functions and toilets. They are either top of the line, or squat toilets. Usually, in public places, they're squat toilets. The top of the line ones are nice, though! "Warmlets" sent from god with heated seats, bidet, "warm shower", and drying functions. Awesome!
Anyways, our night continued as we continued drinking and chatting through 5 episodes of "Sex and the City". I'm so excited, because Karly got all 6 seasons on DVD as a Christmas gift! It's fun to laugh aloud, and compare ourselves and others to the characters in the show.
Thank heavens for "Girls Night In". We agreed that we should do it more often.
Now I am off to bed for a tipsy night's sleep. Ahhh...

No comments: