Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I have a drinking problem

I wrote this on January 24, 2006.

I have a "drinking problem". No, it's not alcohol. I tend to drink a lot of water, juice, tea and the like. It seems like a good idea- being hydrated, flushing out toxins, that kind of thing. It also comes with drawbacks though. For one thing, I rarely make it through a night's sleep without needing to get up and use the bathroom. That's a cold, cold trip through my unheated apartment.
The worst thing though, in this magical land called Japan, are the trips to the smelly, 40 degree bathrooms with the charming squat toilets.



I have to put on the dirty, toilet slippers (yes, bathrooms have their own special slippers), expose my poor ass to the icy air, and then wash my hands in ice cold water when I'm finished.
Seriously, those of you in the "heated world" just don't understand the misery of these arctic, Japanese bathrooms.
That takes me back to my "drinking problem". I try my hardest to avoid the school bathrooms, but I can't stop peeing! I mean, I'm making 3 to 5 trips during my 8 hour workday. It's miserable. I should lay off the water bottle, and avoid the ladies who bring green tea to my desk. But I can't!! I'm thirsty. My body needs to be hydrated.
Oh, spring, please arrive soon! Please bring warmer temps to the Japanese bathrooms.

No comments: