Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rocking a tracksuit- Japanese teacher style



Well, I've gone over to the darkside. I bought myself a tracksuit. Now, I don't see anything wrong with tracksuits, but it's not something I would have considered wearing to work everyday in America. However, in Japan, tracksuits are synonymous with school teachers. Everyday, at least half the staff, if not more, are wearing either track pants, or an entire tracksuit. I have even seen the terribly attractive combo of button-up shirt and tie with track pants on a vice-principal. I would have liked a Puma, Adidas, or Le Coq Sportif tracksuit, but I settled for Reebok, because they were on sale. It's black with a tiny, rainbow pinstripes up the sides.

I finally decided that a tracksuit would be comfy and handy when I want to play outside with the kids, or join in a gym class. Despite my blond hair and blue eyes I felt like a bonafide Japanese teacher when I put on the tracksuit in the dressing room. It reminded me of when I went shopping for a suit in the US before I came to Japan. When I put on a suit, I felt like a grown-up!

In case you were wondering, a large percentage of the elementary school kids wear tracksuits everyday, too. You just can't escape the tracksuit in the Japanese school system.

Here I am with some of my third graders. Sorry you can't see the tracksuit better!

3 comments:

Paul said...

I was talking to my friend about tracksuits recently, and how I see them on a lot of old people. He laughed and said he didn't and bam, some 90 year old man in a University of Michigan tracksuit rolled by with his walker.

But if it's hot in Japan, it'll be hot back here in a year. Guaranteed. I can't imagine ever wearing a tracksuit, unless they make one that looked like a superhero suit.

adam wayne said...

Prime Trading Company offer a tailored solution to today's garment manufacturing.Our Production range Covers tracksuit and much more.

alex lee said...

we create best clothing to wear for our customers.We make all kinds of clothing accessories for men and women.Just come and see for yourself:tracksuit manufacturers in UK